Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Very Lovely Valentine's Day...


Me - "Anna, what is love?"
Anna - "Love is Mama, Ben, all the people I see. When you love someone you kiss them and you
play with them, even grown ups."


Ethan completely spoiled me this Valentine's Day. He let me sleep in on Saturday, which is typical, but when I woke up there was was a note. He wrote that he was with the kids and that he wouldn't be back until 5 pm. He told me he had rented me movies the night before, and got me some special snacks, and told me where they were hidden. At first I thought it'd be hard to just lounge all day and that I'd want them to come home early. I was wrong. This day was heaven!!! Yes, I have a few hours to myself most nights to get things done, workout, or just recoup, but this was sooooo different. This was alone time for 8 whole hours!!!!! I watched two of the movies that Ethan had rented (ones I'd wanted to see for a while, and Ethan did not :) I'll admit, I did do a few chores, but they were done so quickly without two little kids interrupting or wanting to "help." I also called a few people I'd been meaning to chat with, and I gave myself a pedicure. Oh, and I did a quick workout. I made some valentine cupcakes that Anna and I decorated when she got home. (We shared some with a few of our neighbors.)
After hanging out together, feeding the kids, baths, and nighttime routine, we put Anna and Benjamin to bed and celebrated Valentine's Day just the two of us. We had some steaks we cooked together. I got dressed up for our date (see Ethan's photo work above :) and I was getting ready when Anna was still awake....
Anna - "Mommy, where are you going?"
Me - "Oh, I'm not going anywhere. Daddy and I are just having a special date tonight, here."
Anna - "What's a date?"
Me - "Well, we're going to do things together, just the two of us. Maybe watch a movie."
Anna - "I would like to watch a movie with you. I can get dressed up too."
Me - "Oh, sweetie, this is just for mommy and daddy. And it's a grown up movie..."
Anna - "Well, I don't think we should watch a movie. We can play a game. Maybe jump rope.
Oh, I have a great idea mom...how about Grown-up jump rope."
Me - "I'm sorry Anna, this is just for daddy and mommy...it's time for bed sweet cheeks."
Of course Anna was hurt and offended by this. How dare we have a fun, special night together without her. I think she realizes that we stay up a little longer than her, but I don't think she ever assumed we were having any fun. Poor Anna. Our next family night is going to be a dress up party.

No comments: